Scam alert: Royal Mail
Royal Mail Scam
Royal Mail have been reporting an increase in fraudulent or phishing customer scams. Criminals are using text messages or emails relating to delivery, collection or redirection of a letter or parcel. You may be asked to pay a fee to retrieve the package or urged to confirm personal information.
There have been a wide variety of fraudulent or phishing scams reported to Royal Mail and it’s another method that scammers are using to obtain personal information, including bank and debit card details, illegitimately.
What to watch out for
At first glance, these messages can appear to be from Royal Mail. However, they are in fact a scammer trying to obtain your information for fraudulent purposes.
Here are examples of some of the typical scams that Royal Mail have been seeing recently.
How to avoid falling for these scams
Taking a cynical approach when you receive this sort of message is often prudent. If you believe what you have received could be fraudulent then do not click on a link and definitely do not share any personal information.
- Be aware of any emails or text messages that ask you to provide personal information directly in response
- Do not click on links or attachments in unexpected or suspicious emails or text messages
- Scammers will often use impersonal, generic greetings such as, ‘Dear Customer’ or ‘Dear User’
What action should you take?
If you receive a suspicious email, text message, telephone call then you can report it to email@example.com.
- For suspicious emails, forward the email to firstname.lastname@example.org do not click on any links or attachments and then delete it from your inbox.
- For suspicious text messages, you can send a screenshot to email@example.com
- If you have provided personal or financial details as a result of a suspicious message, or lost money because of a scam, you should report it to Action Fraud at actionfraud.police.uk or by calling 0300 123 2040.
If you think you may have handed over your bank or debit card details to scammers, please contact us immediately.